Winter wears out its welcome by mid-January. This is usually the point when I am exasperated with plunging temps, pricey heating bills, heavy overcoats, sidewalks that aren’t shoveled, my winter wardrobe…pretty much anything annoys me in the dead of winter.
But then there’s that first sign of spring – weather- or calendar-related, I don’t care – and almost immediately, my spirits lift thinking about the warm weather and green grass ahead. Another reason I look forward to spring is the abundance of produce in season! Green peas, asparagus and artichokes are at their peak, while rhubarb, strawberries and pineapples are fragrant springtime favorites.
Here’s a top 10 list of my favorite Mr. Food spring recipes:
- Asparagus Parmigiana – A great way to utilize fresh-as-spring asparagus, this cheesy veggie dish may make even your most finicky eaters new fans.
- Minty Pea Salad – A fresh idea for salad sides, this minty dish blends in-season green peas, Dijon mustard, mayo, sour cream and fresh mint.
- Spring Flower Cupcakes – Bring these adorable cupcakes to your spring events (showers, weddings, graduations) – the mini candies on top will be a hit!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – This nutrition-packed salad incorporates fresh strawberries and makes a colorful lunch or dinner side.
- Stuffed Artichokes – You won’t believe how simple it is to make restaurant-style stuffed artichokes at home. These tasty artichokes are fun to eat, too!
- Mint Roasted Leg of Lamb – A traditional main course for Easter is leg of lamb. With it being so easy to roast (and often on sale!), you can enjoy lamb all spring long.
- Spring Vegetable Couscous – Try this Middle Eastern variation on pasta primavera as a main dish or a side. It features spring vegetables but you can add whatever!
- Lemon Dill Chicken – Weather-permitting, Fresh Lemon Dill Chicken is great on the grill! It is on top of our list of backyard yard grill picks.
- Pineapple Baked Ham – Often served at Easter, this ham gets its sweetness from a pineapple and brown sugar glaze!
- Bloomin’ Cupcakes – These devil’s food cupcakes look fancy but you can make them for a fraction of the cost as purchasing at a bakery.
Here’s some more spring recipe favorites to check out: